Sunset Country

Spring brings a spectrum of colour as flowers burst with life.

The skies around here display a spectrum as well. If you didn’t see my video on Ignace Outposts’ YouTube channel, FaceBook or on The Weather Network (they insert a commercial, sorry)…

just soak in the snapshot below (straight out of the camera).

dew droplets

Fireweed is in bloom along the creek. The morning mist adds poke-a-dots to the petals.

spark of pink

Once again from the safety of my screen porch, we watch a show of lights in the sky. Hot, humid weather in July spawns spectacular, late day thunder storms.

Neon pink bolt of lightning over Agimak Lake, Ignace, Ontario

soggy poppy

April 2012 desktop

Spring has come early this year!

Wish this was my garden….

I was fortunate to visit Bellingham WA with my daughter a spring or two ago.
The image is available in different screen sizes here.

Just a little something

Happy National Machine Quilting Day!

Besides playing with pixels, I spend a lot of my leisure time playing with threads. Quilting has been a satisfying pastime of mine for quite a while. I particularly enjoy the creativity of stitching the layers of fabric together. I do this on all sizes of quilts using a regular, domestic sewing machine. In honour of National Machine Quilting Day, I thought I’d share some shots of my latest project. Others may be added in the future and archived on a new menu page: Threads FiberArt {I changed my mind}

Prairie Lily is featured on the cover of “Little by Little, Quilts in Miniature” by Mary Hickey (That Patchwork Place 1988) and has always charmed me. I decided to make it for our local quilt guild mini quilt auction which will take place at this year’s quilt show. I drew the block pattern (flower part) in EQ (Electric Quilt software) so I could print out paper foundation pieces. This allows for a ‘sew by number’ type of construction. The machine quilting was all done free hand (no templates or marking).

This was the first time I changed the threads on the back to match those on the front. That way I didn’t have to deal with the top or bottom thread showing up on the wrong side which was what was happening as seen below. I removed the heart border stitches, put pink thread in the bobbin and decided to do a feather border instead!